Welcome to my world....

Scroll to the bottom for My Favorite Things!!

Monday, April 25, 2011

TMI in the name of a UTI

Let me start by saying I suffer from a CKD (chronic kidney disease) known as Medulary Sponge Kidney.  I will not die from this...just suffer through a series of infections and stones for ever.  I usually take medication when they strike and then they are killed off. That being said, I have a kidney infection and a urinary tract infection that I have been living with since March 12th.  I have gone to my GP for regular visits and numerous antibiotics but nothing has worked, in exasperation, he has given up and referred me to a new urologist.  I avoid the urologist like the plague, I still clearly remember my last experience.(shuddering in horror).  This kind of visit usually falls under the same catagory as the gynocologist, which is another intimate experience I try to avoid.  But, since this pesky set of microbes refuses to disappear, I dutifully set my impending doom...ahem...appointment. 
I prep for this appointment like I was going on a date with a new lover.  Freshly showered and shaved...check.  Matching bra and panties...check.  Lotioned and perfumed...check.  Recent pedicure...check.  I arrive for my appointment and fill out the necessary forms.  I tend to revert to smart ass mode whenever feeling particularly anxious, so on the line where they ask if I do drugs....I ask if the valium I took with a shot of tequilla before this appointment counts as recreational....ha ha ha.  I am so clever.  They call my name and I walk through the door.  The nurse points me to the scale and says...we just need to check your weight.  I respond with an "Oh Joy"...(clapping)..."Lucky me".  Nurse Ratchet rolls her eyes, records the number and then hands me a plastic cup.  I know the drill so I head to the bathroom.  She then moves me to a room to cool my heels.  Yay...they have People!  (Knock Knock) The doctor strides in and annouces that the infection is gone....We then go through the series of questions about my disease....yadda yadda yadda.  He is very thorough.  He then tells me that he wants to put me on an ongoing antibiotic to lessen the infections and whips out his pad....I ask him to "toss in some mood enhancers" while he is at it...he smiles as he hands me my antibiotic rx.  I like his style.  Wow...this was so easy, I think to myself. No fuss, no muss and the waste of a perfectly good shave in my opinion. Like Elaine from Seinfeld and her "Sponge worthy" this is how I rate all encounters below the waist.  But I digress... I am ready to blow this pop stand.  It is then that he stands, turns to a dull brown cupboard and hands me a paper sheet.....Nooooooo!! "From the waist down" he says as he leaves the room.  Crest fallen, I set down my purse and disrobe.  I barely have this napkin over my butt before he knocks and comes back in with a female nurse.  "Ok...lay back and slip your feet into the stirrups"....as I do...I admire my new pedicure and self tanner legs...not so bad I think...Note to self: Thank Lisa AHM for the tip on the L'Oreal tan towel.  Bam...back to reality....Hello Doctor!!!  I keep my eyes to the ceiling...as he asks me some perfunctory questions...and then I look to him. What was that?  Did he just make a face?  Is that good or bad?  and then he says "How was your Easter?"  Really????  I don't know.  Let me treat you like a bowling ball and ask you inane questions.  I squeek out a fine....and look to the nurse.  She has sympathetic eyes and she keeps them on my face the whole time.  What a crappy job...Who picks to be a urology nurse....I mean the woman before me was like 90....What must that look like?  Note to self:  Thank god I work for an optometrist (signing the cross).   Snap....gloves come off and we are done.  I sit up...smart ass remarks gone,  Now avoiding eye contact, I can't wait to leave. This is why I dislike the urologist and good news looming, I get to go back for something called a gonioscopy.  Blech!  Happy Monday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment