Welcome to my world....

Scroll to the bottom for My Favorite Things!!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

An Ode to Bread

I just started a new diet and bread is the enemy.  It's on the list, but is so high in points that it doesn't really fit into a daily menu.  (sad face)  The thought of cutting "good" bread out of my diet makes me queasy at the knees.  As a true Bay Area girl knows, when I say good bread, I am talking about good old fashioned San Francisco sour dough.  The crunchy, airy, sour goodness of a freshly made loaf.  Nothing beats the taste of a warm slice of sourdough with melted butter or a deli sandwich on a sourdough roll.  If you don't believe me, just look around the next time you are at a restaurant and the bread comes to the table.  Everybody loves bread!!  Sigh, I will miss you Boudin, Artisan, Santa Cruz Baking Co. and Colombo.  I feel like a crack addict when I think of bread.  I love the smell, the taste, the crunch of the crust and the softness of the center.  I hope I can make it!  Bread is love and welcoming.  They way it makes the house smell when baking or breaking bread with friends.  Ahhhhh....<3  While I don't think I would sell my body for a nice Puglise, I would gladly give up all other carbs.  Adios rice, risotto, bagels, tortillas, cakes and cookies.   My new diet encourages "other" breads.  You know, rice cakes, pita pockets and those Orowheat thin things.  Low carb, fat free, seedy brown bread, Yuck!  I know, I know, they are good and I do like those.  But they are not real bread!  So, alas, I will have to eat you in moderation sour dough.  Sneak you in back alleys, hide in the closet and late at night, when no one is looking, like a drug addict.  I wonder if I can get a pic line straight to a vein?  Bread.....Oh Bread....how I love thee! 

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh Bread- my weakness? Cornbread- being a southern girl and all that- and I'm sure it's WAY worse than your beloved Sour Dough....but, the things we do for health & beauty right? UGH! I'm feelin' your pain, sister!

    ReplyDelete