Welcome to my world....

Scroll to the bottom for My Favorite Things!!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Not Your Average Joe

For Christmas I received a Trader Joe's gift card.  Whoo hoo.  I love shopping at Trader Joes!  Last night I remembered to put it in my purse.  So, after work I swung by and did a little shopping.  As soon as I park my car in the lot and walk toward the doors I feel different.  The doors open and a transformation comes over me.....I am not sure what it is, but I suddenly feel very green.  Like I want to hug a tree.  The store lends itself to more introspective shopping.  I mean, you have to read everything, inspect each label.  I first peruse the veggie section,  picking up individual packages of strange green globes I have never seen before, designed to feed two.  I will pass.  Cheese!  Oh...how I love cheese, but alas, it does not love me.  I already know I like the tomato basil humus so I plop a container of that in my mini cart.  Off to fruit.  This is easy, I will have some, creatively packaged, peaches.  Bread is up next.  Oh the choices are endless.  But, I choose some gluten free sourdough sliced, fat free English muffins and a fresh baguette.  I navigate my mini cart through the frozen foods and feel one with the other patrons, humming sitar music.  I look down in the seafood section and I see langostino for $8.99.  As I reach down to pick up the package, I hear the words "Oh good choice."  I turn around to see a statuesque woman in her mid 70's with the longest gray hair, parted down the middle, that I have ever seen.  She is wearing a soft gray sweater and is adorned with many multi-colored beaded necklaces.  I meet her eyes and she smiles...I instantly feel a warmth coming from her and she says "My husband and I buy this all the time, and we love it, but you must get the low fat clam sauce with it!"  It is only then that I notice she has on no bra.  For a second, in my head I am mesmerized.....she has the biggest, longest boobs.  I start to stammer and I blush.  But heck...she is in Trader Joes.  Recovering and remembering my manners, I thank her for the suggestion and tool over to the sauces.  Headed to the check out, another patron and I discuss the $1.99 chocolate covered pecans.  At the checkout, the plucky cashier and I talk about the unseasonably warm weather, what we did this last weekend and plans for the upcoming week.  I leave with my purchases in my double bagged brown paper sack, and feel happy.  What a pleasant experience.  So, as I sit here eating my scrumptious gluten free pasta with langostino, white clam sauce, fresh baguette and mixed field greens salad, I think to myself, I should shop at TJ's more often.  That was fun, but next time I may lose the bra!

1 comment:

  1. oh how i wish we had tj's here! And, that woman- I totally picture that being ME in about 25 years. But I will probably not be sans bra.

    ReplyDelete