Welcome to my world....

Scroll to the bottom for My Favorite Things!!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

It's all fun and games until somebody gets the flu!!!

Today is a big day!  I have started my new blog, I am scheduled to work till 6pm, I am throwing a baby shower for a friend tonight and my daughter has an extended cheer practice.  All that changed in one instant.   I had a delusional moment this morning as we were all getting ready for school and I hear her say "Mom, I don't feel so good", you know, the one where if you ignore the statement then it really won't happen.  No such luck.  So as I am getting ready for work, packing lunches and hustling the kids to get out the door I look at my daughter,who is now pea green and sigh,...."go change...put on your jammies, you are staying home"    Grounded...the day and all that was scheduled has instantly come to a screeching halt.  I rush my son to high school and zip back home, only to find my daughter leaning over the toilet retching.  I walk in and ask if she is ok and I hear those dreaded two words..."I missed."  (Gulp) I can feel the eww factor rising in my own throat, I struggle to keep it down and shuffle my little up chucker to her room.  I think to myself, ok, she has only thrown up once, I can just get her settled and still make it to work.  I have to laugh at my optimism, because no sooner had the calls been made, she was back at it again.  Firmly, I resign myself to the fact that I am staying home...I mean, that is what a good mother does.  Then why do I want to run? Run screaming away from the smell, the mess, the germs? Why am I so eager to pretend as if nothing is wrong?  If you are a mom, then you know why.  Because, as Mom's we know that this is just the beginning.  No amount of Lysol, hot loads of laundry or hand washing is going to keep this nasty flu from running rampant through the entire family and I will be playing nurse maid to them all until I finally crumble and fall.  They will all be well and I will be left to fend for myself.  So, as I sit here, cleaning my bathroom, knowing full well what is to come......a glimmer of hope rises to my brain.  I am only one stomach flu away from a size 12!!  Here is to looking on the bright side ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I've been there SO many times! And, I don't care what 'they' say- even if it IS your kid- at least for me, I'm a sympathy retcher!

    ReplyDelete