Welcome to my world....

Scroll to the bottom for My Favorite Things!!

Friday, January 14, 2011

It's not easy being green

I don't compost.  I always ask for plastic bags at the grocery store.  I sometimes forget to turn off the water while I am brushing my teeth (but I do feel guilty for a second).  I do not wash my car on the lawn.  I have never e-waste recycled anything and I buy my kids bottled water.  There!  I said it!  My secret is out....pheww.  I feel better.  It's not as if I don't try.  I mean, I bought the kids reusable water bottles, because lets face it, some of them are really cute.  I recycle my aluminum cans and plastic, my hub loves the pocket money.  I don't toss old paint in the trash can and we do not put the doggie doo in the green waste.  To top off all of this good that I am doing, I even bought a phosphate free dishwasher detergent.  I clearly remember the logic behind this purchase that I made a month ago. I mean who could pass up such a deal...surely not me.  There it was, sitting proudly amongst all of those evil, bad detergents.  A plain, non-coated, friendly white box with blue print, pretty tree picture, claiming to save the earth and leave my dishes sparkling clean!  What a deal, 125 phosphate free tablets for only $6.00.  Ecocover,  even the name sounded like I would be doing some good.  Cha ching....purchase made and some small amount of green satisfaction for me.
Fast forward to last night.  So, once again, I empty my dishwasher and once again my dishes are dull, dingy and still dirty.  This never happened when I used the fully loaded chemical tabs.  I complained out loud and my husband says from the other room,"You know, you are supposed to rinse and wash the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher...that's what I do."  (Cough, bull sh**) I mutter under my breath.  Ok....does this sound stupid to anyone else?  Why the heck must I wash the dishes before I re-wash them in the dishwasher?  Really?  So....now in the interest of being green, I am washing my dishes by hand and trying to figure out how to dispose of 110 phosphate free tablets.......maybe I will compost them!

1 comment:

  1. Bwahaha- sorry, but that was my first reaction because of the last line.

    I have one for you- my Mama used to hand wash the dishes and drain them in the dishwasher. The ONLY time the dishwasher was used to actually wash dishes was if we had lots of company for supper.

    So, yes, I almost wash mine before they go in- it's habit. But, no you shouldn't have to.

    But, get green sister! It's a sickness for me- I recycle everything!

    ReplyDelete